Tuesday, December 30, 2014

She's hanging in there...

That's my response every time someone asks how my mom is doing. "Physically she' doing okay, but mentally she's pretty much vacant." That's my most recent go-to reply. There's not much else to say. It's weird to think about how, when I started this blog 5 years ago, I was pretty certain we had maybe a year or two left with her. She was declining so quickly, it just didn't seem feasible that she would still be "hanging in there" 5 years later. We always knew she was a tough cookie, always scheming and finding a way to get what she wanted, so we shouldn't be surprised, ha! I'm still mourning her. I still, with guilt in my heart, long for the day we can say our official good-byes. I don't think Daddy is ready yet, though, so I will wait and grieve and miss her until God decides the time is right. This Christmas was hard. It was my first one coming home in the last 3 years. It was sad and I just wanted it to be over. I tried not to seem sad in front of Daddy because I know he feels lost without her during these times. He apologized for not putting up a tree. I'm glad I was here. I've been here since September, waiting for a job in Philly to come to fruition so I can move there. I need to be here. For me. For Dad. And maybe for Mom, somehow. We're all hanging in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment